Yemen: Houthis say up to 20 dead in Saudi-led coalition strikes on Sanaa
Air strikes launched against Sanaa by the Saudi-led coalition fighting rebel Houthis have killed around 20 people, the deputy foreign minister for the Houthi administration, which holds much of northern Yemen, said on Twitter.
Among the deaths, about 14 people were killed in a building in the the Houthi-held capital, residents said on Tuesday.
Houthi-run Al Masirah TV said the strikes had damaged houses, killed at least a dozen people and wounded about a dozen.
The coalition strikes followed an attack claimed by the Houthis on Monday on coalition partner the United Arab Emirates (UAE), in Abu Dhabi, in which three people were killed.
Early on Tuesday, the coalition said it had begun air strikes against strongholds and camps in Sanaa belonging to the Houthi group, Saudi state media said.
The strikes on Sanaa appeared to be the deadliest since 2019.
The coalition also said it intercepted eight drones launched toward Saudi Arabia on Monday.
Family members killed
The strike that killed about 14 people, according to initial estimates, was on the home of a former military official.
It killed him, his wife, his 25-year-old son, other family members and some unidentified people, a medical source and residents told Reuters.
The UAE has armed and trained Yemeni forces that recently joined fighting against the Houthis in Yemen's energy-producing regions of Shabwah and Marib.
Shabwah has been pummelled by Saudi-led coalition air strikes since late last month, with UAE-backed forces advancing against the Houthis, who took significant casualties.
Monday's Houthi-claimed attack on two sites in the UAE set off explosions in fuel trucks, killed three people and ignited a blaze near Abu Dhabi airport.
In response, the UAE said it reserved the right to respond to "terrorist attacks and criminal escalation".