Live: Latest on Sudan crackdown
The United Nations has proposed the deployment of a human rights monitoring team to Sudan, to investigate the deadly crackdown in Khartoum earlier this week.
The Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) said it was seeking cooperation from the Sudanese government in order to deploy the team.
It said the rights monitors would work with government authorities, as well as civil society and other organisations on the ground in Sudan.
"Once again, we call on the authorities to ensure a prompt, independent investigation into the use of excessive force against protest camps," OHCHR said in a statement.
"Accountability is crucial to avoid further bloodshed. We stress the need for a swift transition to a civilian administration."
Sudan's protest leaders met on Friday with Ethiopia's Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed, who is seeking to mediate between opposition and military officials.
The Alliance for Freedom and Change opposition group said it would agree to Abiy-led talks, but only if Sudan's ruling military council meets certain demands, AFP news agency reported.
"The Transitional Military Council has to admit to the crime it committed," Omar al-Digeir, a prominent protest leader, told reporters.
Al-Digeir also called for an international probe into a recent deadly crackdown on a Khartoum sit-in, and for the military to "be removed from the streets" across Sudan.
Digeir said the military council must also restore internet access.
After increasing reports of Khartoum residents being provoked in their neighbourhoods and homes by both paramilitary fighters and men out of uniform, the opposition Sudanese Professionals Association warned people to beware of the military's "miserable tricks".
It claimed groups are trying to trick people, using announcements from local mosques, into removing barricades and to come out onto the streets.
The SPA said the protesters should follow a strategy of building barricades on roads then abandoning them instead of confronting the paramilitary forces.
A muezzin (who usually calls to prayer) says a message broadcast for people to carry arms was not made by anyone from the mosque
Pan-Arab media outlets have come under fire from Sudanese journalists and activists, who accuse them of spreading pro-military propaganda.
Saudi Arabia's al-Arabiyya and al-Hadth channels have been the focus for much of the ire, especially after reporting claims that protesters were to blame for the violence at the sit-in.
The Sudanese Journalists Network issued a statement critcising the stance taken by the channels.
"The journalists network doesn't ask for anything more from these channels than journalistic and professional honor."
Ethiopia's Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed has met with the head of Sudan's military council, Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, after arriving for mediation talks on Friday.
Acccording a diplomatic source cited by Reuters, Ahmed will also be meeting the opposition.
After Monday's attack on the Khartoum sit-in, which the opposition says killed at least 113 people, the opposition cut off all contact with the military, who they had been in negotiations with for an initial partial handover of power to civilians.
Burhan initially said all prior agreements with the protesters were cancelled but then reversed the decision, saying they were open to restarting the negotiations which had already been stalled.
The United Nations and the British embassy have announced they are pulling non-essential staff and their families from Sudan.
The United States has warned its citizens to exercise "extreme caution" amid the ongoing uncertainty.